Advanced Heart Failure and Transplantation Fellowship
Established in 2005, the 1-year ACGME Accredited Advanced Heart Failure and Heart Transplant program at Northwestern Memorial Hospital is overseen by Sanjiv J. Shah, MD, Director of the Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction Program, and Edwin C. McGee, MD, Surgical Director of Heart Transplantation and Mechanical Assistance. The Medicare-approved heart transplant program has a one-year survival rate among the best in the country at 96% and it is ranked among the top 20 programs nationally and number one in Illinois, performing 25-30 transplants yearly.
- Outpatient heart failure management including use of standard and novel pharmacological, electrical and surgical therapies
- Advanced inpatient heart failure management using invasive hemodynamic monitoring, tailored therapy with vasodilators, and use of inotropic agents
- Management of patients with percutaneous mechanical circulatory support (including intra-aortic balloon counter pulsation, Tandem Heart, Impella 2.5L and 5.0L), and implantable mechanical circulatory support with HeartMate XVE, HeartMate II and HeartWare
- Diagnostic cardiovascular studies (cardiopulmonary exercise testing, right heart catheterization and endomyocardial biopsies)
- Evaluation of potential heart transplant candidates, evaluation and management of donors, institution of immunosuppressive protocols for patients immediately post-transplant and management of chronic immunosuppressive therapy as out-patients
- Pathology reviews of endomyocardial biopsies performed; immunology lectures regarding concepts of antigen/antibody testing, cross-matching and principles of rejection
- Evaluation of patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators, implantable hemodynamic monitors and cardiac resynchronization therapy (including echo guided optimization)
- Participation in clinical trials including recruitment of patients in novel drugs or devices for heart failure, use of stem cell therapy
At the time of graduation fellows will meet requirements for UNOS certification and will be able to sit for the ABIM Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology subspecialty board examination.
- Completion of ACGME-accredited Cardiovascular Disease fellowship training, as per ABIM guidelines
- Illinois State Medical License
- ABIM board certification or board eligibility
*At this time we have filled all of our fellowship positions are no longer accepting applications for the 2014-2015 Academic Year.*
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Transcript
- One Letter of Recommendation from CVD Program Director
- Two Letters of Recommendations form Cardiologists familiar with candidate's work.
Program Director: Sanjiv J. Shah, MD
Program Coordinator: Adriana Ohl
email@example.com / 312-695-0788
676 N Saint Clair St Ste 600 / Chicago, IL 60611