- Cardiology EP fellow Daniel Pelchovitz, MD won the highly competitive Laennec competition at the recent American Heart Association meeting for his clinical case study of a young man with malignant RVOT ventricular tachycardia.
- James Foody, MD was awarded the 2013 Laureate Award from the Illinois Chapter of the ACP. The award honors Fellows and Masters of the College who have demonstrated by their example and conduct, an abiding commitment to excellence in medical care, education, or research and in service to their community, their Chapter, and the American College of Physicians. Dr. Foody is a Professor in General Internal Medicine and the Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs of the Department of Medicine.
- Congratulations to the 2013 faculty promotion awardees! Click here for the full list.
- The competing renewal application for the NU Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Center (MCRC), led by Dr. Leena Sharma is to be funded. The MCRC unites the Division of Rheumatology with other departments and institutes at Northwestern and operates as an integrated unit to address a broad range of clinical research endeavors. Click to read more.
- Chief of Nephrology Sue Quaggin, MD has been awarded the prestigious Alfred Newton Richards Award from the International Society of Nephrology for basic science research regarding common kidney disease. Click to read more.
- Outgoing chief cardiology fellow Jane Wilcox MD was recently awarded a one year Postdoctoral Fellowship from the American Heart Association. Dr. Wilcox, a former resident and chief medical resident at Northwestern, will use the funds to support her research "Identifying Predictors of Myocardial Recovery Among Hospitalized Patients with Non-ischemic Heart Failure."
- Taking education to the next level, Douglas Vaughan, MD, Chairman, Department of Medicine, visits the NMH cardiac catheterization lab. As part of a new education program, senior cardiology fellow Joseph Walsh, MD practices advanced cardiac catheterization techniques on a simulator that includes 3D imaging. To read more about simulation-based education, click here.
- Meg Fitzpatrick, MD, fellow in Infectious Diseases, was awarded a $25,000 grant from the 2014 Eleanor Wood-Prince Grants Initiative of the NMH Women’s Board for her project, “The Utility of Whole-Genome Sequencing for Bacterial Strain Typing in Hospital Outbreaks”
- Kathy Neely, MD, Chair of the Ethics Committee, was featured in the Wall Street Journal in a story about National Healthcare Decisions Day, encouraging adults to plan ahead and document their healthcare decisions.
- David Baker, MD, MPH, Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, was elected to the Society of General Internal Medicine Council for 2013-2014.
- Congratulations to Egon Ozer, MD of the Division of Infectious Diseases, who received a five year grant from the American Cancer Society to support his work regarding ''Mediators of Infection in the Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Accessory Genome." Egon is an Instructor of Medicine and a graduate of the PSTP program.
- Mary M. McDermott, MD was selected to be a “master” in the Society of Vascular Medicine, the Society of Vascular Medicine’s highest honor. This designation is awarded to individuals who have made “outstanding contributions to the field of vascular medicine”. The award will be made at the Society of Vascular Medicine’s annual meeting in June of 2013.
- Structured Inter-Disciplinary Rounds (SIDR), led by Dr. Kevin O'Leary, was awarded the 2013 Society of Hospital Medicine's Award for Excellence in Teamwork and Quality Improvement.
- Marla Clayman, PhD, MPH, of the Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, is the new Chair-Elect for the Public Health Education and Health Promotion Section of the American Public Health Association. PHEHP is the largest section of APHA with about 5,000 members. Her term as Chair will begin at the 2013 Annual Meeting in Boston.
- Michael Wolfe, MD, MPH, of the Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal on medication adherence. The article appeared January 8th on the front page of the Personal Journal section of the paper copy.
- Peter Kopp, MD, of the Division of Endocrinology, has been appointed as Council Member of the Association of Program Directors in Endocrinology and Metabolism.
- Mark Williams, MD, Chief of the Division of Hospital Medicine earned the Master in Hospital Medicine designation.
- Nita Kulkarni, MD, of the Division of Hospital Medicine, was named a 2012 ACP Top Hospitalist.
- Rashmi Sharma, MD, of the Division of Palliative Care/Hospital Medicine received the 2012 Paper Award and the 2012 Young Investigator Award from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. She also won the awards in 2011.
- Division of Cardiology faculty and fellows had 77 presentations at the American Heart Association's Annual Scientific Sessions. Senior fellow Daniel Schimmel, MD was a finalist for the Laennec Young Clinician Award.
- John Wilkins, MD explains why he particpates in the American Heart Association's Heart Walk.
- Jeffrey H Barsuk, MD, Division of Hospital Medicine, on his newly awarded R18 from AHRQ entitled, “Use of Simulation-Based Mastery Learning for Thoracentesis to Improve Outcomes.”
- Steven T. Rosen, MD, FACP, named Chair of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Medical and Scientific Advisory Board.
- Dr. Peter Kahrilas appointed to the Clinical, Integrative and Molecular Gastroenterology Study Section at the Center for Scientific Review, National Institutes of Health.
- New study from Drs. Junghwa Lee and Bing Chang from the Division of Rheumatology finds that more than 40% of adults with RA are inactive despite known benefits of exercise.
- New NIH-funded study by Dorothy Dunlop, PhD, of the Division of Rheumatology, demonstrates the importance of intervening in the arthritis disease process through physical activity.
- Samuel I Stupp, PhD, Professor of Materials Science, Chemistry, and Medicine, elected to National Academy of Engineering.
- Dr. Jeffrey Barsuk wins Excellence in Teaching Award from the Society of Hospital Medicine. He won for central line and other simulation training, which has improved patient care at NMH and is now in use at many other hospitals.
- Dr. Al B Benson III, Professor and Associate Director for Clinical Investigations, has recently received the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Rodger J. Winn MD Award, the Association of Community Cancer Centers (ACCC) Outstanding Achievement in Clinical Research Award, the IMOS Recognition of Service to the Association of Community Cancer Centers and in Advancing Clinical Research in the Community Setting, and the American Joint Commission on Cancer Recognition of Outstanding and Dedicated Service as Representative of the American College of Physicians (ACP) to the AJCC.
- Shubha Ahya selected as 2012 German Marshall Memorial Fellow.
- The Department of Medicine holds annual holiday gala.
- Mayor Emanuel Proclaims November 9 Steven T. Rosen Day, in honor of Dr. Rosen's contributions to the field of oncology.
- The Department of Medicine was fortunate enough to celebrate the endowment of several named professorships in the past few months. These professorships are a way to recognize faculty for dedicated service to Northwestern University. Recent faculty honorees include: Mark Molitch (Endocrinology) Diane B. Wayne (General Internal Medicine) Bradley Knight (Cardiology/Electrophysiology) Clyde Yancy (Cardiology) Joseph Bass (Endocrinology) William Gradishar (Hematology-Oncology).
- Jesse Brown VA is named top performer
- Palliative Care and Home Hospice Program received Hearst Foundations Fellowship grant for 2012 academic year.
- Rashmi Sharma, MD, MHS wins Young Investigators in the Junior Faculty Category from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
- Timothy M. Kuzel, MD and Gary McVicar, MD named to Illinois Medical Oncology Society 2012 Board of Directors.
- American Heart Association funds $26 million in research at Northwestern.
- Eric G. Neilson, MD, to lead Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Jeffrey Barsuk MD named an ACP Top Hospitalist for 2011
- Jeffrey Barsuk MD wins Young Investigator Award at AAMC meeting for central line publication.
- Darren Brenner, MD awarded an Illinois Department of Public Health Grant.
- The Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation's Division of GIM wins Society of General Internal Medicine Clinical Practice Innovation Award
- David W. Baker named the Chair of the American College of Physicians Performance Measurement Committee
- Jacob Iasha Sznajder awarded the Doctor Honoris Causa
- Drs. Hansen and Hinami win Society of Hospital Medicine’s 2011 Young Researchers Award
- Dr. James Foody is elected to the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors for national ACP.
- Dr. Robert Bonow awarded a Master of American College of Physicians
- Jeff Barsuk was named an ACP Top Hospitalist for 2011. Learn more about Dr. Barsuk
- Michelle Prickett receives the “Program for Adult Care Excellence” (PACE) award from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Herbert Sier was listed by US News and World Report as one of the Top Doctors in geriatrics, as one of the top 10% of geriatricians in the nation.
- Mary McDermott was elected to chair the Peripheral Vascular Disease Interdisciplinary Council of the American Heart Association
- The Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation's Division of General Internal Medicine was selected as the winner of this year's Society of General Internal Medicine Clinical Practice Innovation Award.
- Marla L. Clayman, PhD MPH became the Chair of the Health Communication Working Group within the Public Health Education and Public Health Promotion section of the APHA.
- Darren Brenner, MD was awarded an Illinois Department of Public Health Grant to expand our high-risk colonoscopy program for underserved populations in the Chicago land area. Dr. Brenner holds two editorial positions: at the Board of the Selected Summaries section of the journal Gastroenterology and the editorial board to the journal Annals of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- David W. Baker was recently named the Chair of the American College of Physicians Performance Measurement Committee.
- Division of Nephrology: Dr. Xunrong Luo received $50,000 EAM funding and Dr. Lorenzo Gallon received $294, 103 from Novartis Pharma to continue his bench research activities.
- Congratulations to 2011 Excellence Award Recipients:
Clinical Leadership: Bradley Knight MD, Department of Medicine, Cardiology
Awarded to a physician at the divisional level who has demonstrated outstanding clinical leadership of a new or existing program.
Clinical Collaboration: John Friedewald MD, Department of Medicine, Nephrology
Awarded to a physician who has demonstrated outstanding responsiveness to colleagues, particular as it relates to access, communication, and overall citizenship in patient care activities.
Clinical Community Service: Pablo Denes MD, Department of Medicine, Cardiology
Awarded to a physician who has performed notable clinical activities outside of his/her routine responsibilities at Northwestern, caring for under-served populations either in the local community or on a national or international basis.
Clinical Innovation: Jeffrey Barsuk MD, Hospital Medicine
Awarded to a physician who has improved the quality of care of his/her patients or service delivery by developing or promoting innovative clinical practices, techniques, or new technology.
Congratulations to nominees: Bernard Bendok MD, Richard Bernstein MD, R. Michael Boyer, DO, Richard Burt MD, Kiran Chekka MD, Steven Devries MD, Sharon Dooley, MD, Leo Gordon MD, Nancy Gracin MD, Nicole Higgins MD, June Mc Koy MD, Boyd Metzger MD, Magdy Milad MD, Lalit Puri MD, William Small MD, George Sisson MD, Michael Socol MD, and Nathaniel Soper MD.
- Jacob Iasha Sznajder is awarded the Doctor Honoris Causa from Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Peru
On July 15th 2011, Dr. Jacob Iasha Sznajder was awarded Doctor Honoris Causa at the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH), Lima, Peru, in recognition of his academic and scientific achievements. Dr. Fabiola Leon-Velarde Servetto, Dean of UPCH, presented the honorary degree to Dr. Sznajder to acknowledge his scientific accomplishments on his research on acute lung injury. Dr. Sznajder is also the Editor of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, and has previously received honorary doctorates from the University of Murcia, Spain, and the University of Athens, Greece. The presentation was led by the 2004 Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry, Dr. Aaron Ciechanover from the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, who introduced Dr. Sznajder as a humanitarian and inspirational figure to young investigators. Both Drs. Ciechanover and Sznajder participated in the XVII International Symposium on Advances in Pulmonary and Intensive Care, organized by the Instituto de Investigaciones de la Altura (IIA) to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia.
- Drs. Hansen and Hinami win Society of Hospital Medicine’s 2011 Young Researchers Award
The Society of Hospital Medicine recently awarded two 2011 Young Researchers Awards. Each researcher receives $50,000 for their work. In a Northwestern sweep, Drs. Luke Hansen and Keiki Hinami were this year’s recipients, a major honor for our Department and school. The review team was very impressed with the proposals submitted by Drs. Hansen and Hinami . Congratulations!
- "Public confused about pain relievers ingredients" Michael Wolf, MD
- Dr. Lindquist: Effects of hospitalization on senior patients
- New High Risk Colorectal Cancer Clinic now open
- Drs. William C. McGaghie and Jeffrey Barsuk receive Simmy Award IMSH 2011
- Dr. Greenland Receives 2011 Tripartite Legacy Prize
- "A Day in a Doctor's Shoes" with Dr. Dan Fintel
- Dr. Curtis Weiss: Checklists are more effective when physicians are prompted to use them.
- May 10, 2011: Dr. John Pandolfino receives AGA Masters Award in Gastroenterology
- NMH Joins National Anti-Violence Strategy
- Dr. Rosen: Speaking Out Against NIH Cuts
- Simon Dack Award for Outstanding Scholarship
- NMH has been redesignated as a Magnet Organization for another four years by the American Nurses Credentialing Center! This exciting news is a validation of our ongoing commitment to excellence. The hospital was praised for the organizational strengths of interdisciplinary collaboration, teamwork, transparency and quality as well as continuing focus on the Patients First mission.
- "A Day in a Doctor's Shoes" with Dr. Dan Fintel, by Erin White.
Watch sophomore Hunter Gits spend an afternoon in Northwestern Medicine’s coronary care unit shadowing Dan J. Fintel, M.D., an associate professor of medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and a cardiologist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
... submit an entry
- 2011 47th Year in Internal Medicine conference
- Dr. David Baker elected to the Board of Directors for the National eHealth Collaborative (NeHC).
- Dr. Clyde Jancy joins PCORI.
- Dr. Umberto Campia received the Simon Dack Award for Outstanding Scholarship in his support of the JACC Journals.
- New Trial Studies Link Between Stroke and Atrial Fibrillation with Dr. Rod Passman