Northwestern ranked #16 in Internal Medicine specialty in the 2011 Best Medical Schools ranking by World Report and US News.
- Mayor Emanuel Proclaims November 9 Steven T. Rosen Day, in honor of Dr. Rosen's contributions to the field of oncology.
- The Department of Medicine was fortunate enough to celebrate the endowment of several named professorships in the past few months. These professorships are a way to recognize faculty for dedicated service to Northwestern University. Recent faculty honorees include: Mark Molitch (Endocrinology) Diane B. Wayne (General Internal Medicine) Bradley Knight (Cardiology/Electrophysiology) Clyde Yancy (Cardiology) Joseph Bass (Endocrinology) William Gradishar (Hematology-Oncology).
- Rashmi Sharma, MD, MHS wins Young Investigators in the Junior Faculty Category from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
- Timothy M. Kuzel, MD and Gary McVicar, MD named to Illinois Medical Oncology Society 2012 Board of Directors.
- Eric G. Neilson, MD, to lead Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Jeffrey Barsuk MD named an ACP Top Hospitalist for 2011
- Jeffrey Barsuk MD wins Young Investigator Award at AAMC meeting for central line publication.
- Darren Brenner, MD awarded an Illinois Department of Public Health Grant.
- The Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation's Division of GIM wins Society of General Internal Medicine Clinical Practice Innovation Award
- Jacob Iasha Sznajder awarded the Doctor Honoris Causa
- Drs. Hansen and Hinami win Society of Hospital Medicine’s 2011 Young Researchers Award
- Dr. James Foody is elected to the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors for national ACP.
- Dr. Robert Bonow awarded a Master of American College of Physicians
- Jeff Barsuk was named an ACP Top Hospitalist for 2011. Learn more about Dr. Barsuk
- Michelle Prickett receives the “Program for Adult Care Excellence” (PACE) award from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Herbert Sier was listed by US News and World Report as one of the Top Doctors in geriatrics, as one of the top 10% of geriatricians in the nation.
- Mary McDermott was elected to chair the Peripheral Vascular Disease Interdisciplinary Council of the American Heart Association
- The Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation's Division of General Internal Medicine was selected as the winner of this year's Society of General Internal Medicine Clinical Practice Innovation Award.
- Marla L. Clayman, PhD MPH became the Chair of the Health Communication Working Group within the Public Health Education and Public Health Promotion section of the APHA.
- Darren Brenner, MD was awarded an Illinois Department of Public Health Grant to expand our high-risk colonoscopy program for underserved populations in the Chicago land area. Dr. Brenner holds two editorial positions: at the Board of the Selected Summaries section of the journal Gastroenterology and the editorial board to the journal Annals of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- David W. Baker was recently named the Chair of the American College of Physicians Performance Measurement Committee.
- (Nephrology) Dr. Xunrong Luo received $50,000 EAM funding and Dr. Lorenzo Gallon received $294, 103 from Novartis Pharma to continue his bench research activities.
- James Foody is elected to the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors for national ACP. He remains the ACP Governor for Illinois Chapter in the Northern region.
- Jacob Iasha Sznajder is awarded the Doctor Honoris Causa from Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Peru.
- Dr. Robert Bonow is awarded a Master of American College of Physicians.
Northwestern received a full 5 year accreditation cycle - the longest that is offered - for all of our programs from the Internal Medicine Residency Review Committee of the ACGME. ... read more
Robert Hirschtick, MD, publishes in JAMA. "I'm flying home from a conference of medical educators. I took copious notes and when I get home, I’ll sort through every little thing in them. Right now, however, I’m contemplating a word of great importance to medical educators. The word: impact." ....read full article
- Dr. Boyd Metzger, Endocrinology, was recently featured in a NIDDK publication.
- NMH has been redesignated as a Magnet Organization for another four years by the American Nurses Credentialing Center! This exciting news is a validation of our ongoing commitment to excellence. The hospital was praised for the organizational strengths of interdisciplinary collaboration, teamwork, transparency and quality as well as continuing focus on the Patients First mission.
- "A Day in a Doctor's Shoes" with Dr. Dan Fintel, by Erin White.
Watch sophomore Hunter Gits spend an afternoon in Northwestern Medicine’s coronary care unit shadowing Dan J. Fintel, M.D., professor of medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and a cardiologist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
- 2011 47th Year in Internal Medicine conference
- Dr. David Baker elected to the Board of Directors for the National eHealth Collaborative (NeHC).
- Dr. Clyde Yancy joins PCORI.
- Dr. Umberto Campia received the Simon Dack Award for Outstanding Scholarship in his support of the JACC Journals.
- New Trial Studies Link Between Stroke and Atrial Fibrillation with Dr. Rod Passman
Andrea Dunaif, MD, Chief, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine presented a plenary lecture, “Genotypes and Phenotypes in PCOS”, at the American Society for Reproductive Medicine’s 66th Annual Meeting in October 2010. She also was a guest speaker for the 2nd McGarry Symposium on Metabolic Control of Complex Systems at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Her talk was entitled “From the Ovary to the Pancreas: Metabolism and Reproduction.” In December, Dr. Dunaif gave the 2010 F.M. Hill Lecture, “Reproduction and Metabolism – Ancient Traits with Modern Implications,” at Toronto’s Women’s College Hospital.
Lisa Neff, MD, is featured in the Chicago Magazine, January 2011. ""Previous studies have shown that minimal intervention is minimally effective," says Dr. Lisa Neff, the endocrinologist who heads Healthy for You, Healthy for 2. Participants meet with experts in nutrition. exercise, and weight management. Click here to read full article (beginning mid-page). Dr. Neff was also interviewed for a piece about Metabolism and Weight Loss (read her paper).