Community Service Report
For the last 146 years, Northwestern Memorial Hospital has been and continues to be dedicated to serving our community. Our longstanding commitment to make quality care available, regardless of the ability to pay, is the foundation of our Patients First mission: To improve the health of the community we serve by putting patients first.
Our new affiliation with Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital increases access to specialty medical care and clinical trials for patients in Lake and northern Cook Counties. Northwestern Lake Forest provided $5.8 million in charity care during the first seven months of our affiliation in fiscal year 2010....
- $276.7 MILLION: Amount spent on Charity Care, Other Unreimbursed Care and Community Benefit Fiscal Year 2010
- $21.6 MILLION: The unreimbursed cost of medical and scientific research provided by Northwestern Memorial
- 27.7%: The percentage of infants cared for in Prentice Women’s Hospital’s Renée Schine Crown Neonatal Intensive Care Unit who received medical care reimbursed by Medicaid or provided as free care.
- $21,000: Cost of lab support, diagnostic imaging and testing, and hospitalization for HealthReach patients provided by Northwestern Lake Forest after it affiliated with Northwestern Memorial.
- 33.8%: The percentage of Emergency Department visits reimbursed by Medicaid or Medicare or provided as free care. Northwestern Memorial is the only academic medical center hospital in Chicago participating in both city and state Level I trauma networks.
- Download full report
Northwestern Memorial HealthCare Free and Discounted Care Programs
- Offers a range of financial assistance programs so that quality healthcare is accessible for the uninsured and for those without adequate medical insurance.
- Free and Discounted Care Programs offers free care based on family income up to 250 percent of the federal poverty level and discounted care to approximate cost based on family income from 250 to 600 percent of the federal poverty level. Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern Memorial Physicians Group both provide discounted care for all uninsured patients, regardless of family income level.
- Catastrophic Discount Program provides financial relief by limiting the total out-of-pocket medical costs for patients.
- For more information about our financial assistance programs visit lfh.org and click on "Patient Billing."