Program in Cardiac Arrhythmias: Diabetes and Cardiac Autonomic Neuropathy
What is cardiac autonomic neuropathy?
Diabetes is associated with many complications, particularly those that result in heart and kidney disease. Diabetes also affects the body’s nerves. The nerves that control the heart, including its rate and rhythm, are not under voluntary control and are called cardiac autonomic nerves. When these nerves are affected by diabetes, this is called cardiac autonomic neuropathy. Although this condition usually does not cause symptoms, unless severe, it is associated with worse survival.
- Goldberger J, Ahmed M, Parker M, Kadish A: Assessment of effects of autonomic stimulation and blockade on the signal averaged electrocardiogram. Circulation 89:1656-1664, 1994.
- Goldberger J, Ahmed M, Parker M, Kadish A: Dissociation of heart rate variability from parasympathetic tone. Am J Physiol 266:H2152-H2157, 1994.
- Ahmed M, Kadish A, Parker M, Goldberger J: Effect of physiologic and pharmacologic adrenergic stimulation on heart rate variability. J Am Coll Cardiol 24:1082-1090, 1994.
- Cheema A, Ahmed M, Kadish A, Goldberger J: Effects of autonomic stimulation and blockade on the signal averaged P wave duration. J Am Coll Cardiol 26:497-502, 1995.
- Ahmed M, Kadish A, Goldberger J: Autonomic effects on the QT interval. Annals Noninvasive Electrocardiol 1:44-53, 1996.
- Goldberger J, Kim Y, Ahmed M, Kadish A: Effect of graded increases in parasympathetic tone on heart rate variability. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 7:594-602, 1996.
- Burke J, Goldberger J, Ehlert F, Kruse J, Parker M, Kadish A: Gender differences in heart rate before and after autonomic blockade: evidence against an intrinsic gender effect. Am J Med 100:537-543, 1996.
- Ahmed M, Kadish A, Goldberger J: Autonomic effects on noise recorded during signal averaged electrocardiography. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 20:1796-1799, 1997.
- Kim Y, Ahmed M, Kadish A, Goldberger J: Characterization of the factors that determine the effect of sympathetic stimulation on heart rate variability. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 20:1936-1946, 1997.
- Burke J, Ehlert F, Kruse J, Parker M, Goldberger J, Kadish A: Gender-specific differences in the QT interval and the effect of autonomic tone and menstrual cycle in healthy adults. Am J Cardiol 79:178-181, 1997.
- Goldberger J: Sympathovagal balance: how should we measure it? Am J Physiol 276(4 Pt 2):H1273-H1280, 1999.
- Challapalli S, Kadish A, Horvath G, Goldberger J: Differential effects of parasympathetic blockade and parasympathetic withdrawal on heart rate variability. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 10(9):1192-1199, 1999.
- Goldberger JJ, Challapalli S, Tung R, Parker MA, Kadish AH: Relationship of heart rate variability to parasympathetic effect. Circulation 103:1977-1983, 2001.
- Taneja T, Larsen J, Goldberger J, Kadish A: Age, gender and autonomic tone effects on surface electrocardiographic indices of ventricular repolarization. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 6:290-297, 2001.
- Kannankeril P, Goldberger J: Parasympathetic effects on cardiac electrophysiology during exercise and recovery. Am J Physiol 282:H2091-H2098, 2002.
- Kannankeril P, Le F, Kadish A, Goldberger J: Parasympathetic effects on heart rate recovery after exercise. J Invest Med 52(6):394-401, 2004.
- Goldberger JJ, Le FK, Lahiri M, Kannankeril PJ, Ng J, Kadish AH: Assessment of parasympathetic reactivation after exercise. Am J Physiol 290:H2446-H2452, 2006.
- Endres S, Mayuga KA, de Cristofaro A, Taneja T, Goldberger JJ, Kadish AH: Age and gender difference in ST height at rest and after double autonomic blockade in normal adults. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 11:253-258, 2006.
- Sundaram S, Carnethon M, Polito K, Kadish AH, Goldberger JJ: Autonomic effects on QT-RR interval dynamics after exercise. Am J Physiol 294:490-497, 2008.
- Banthia S, Ng J, Chicos A, Molitch M, Kadish A, Goldberger JJ: Early detection of cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy using exercise testing in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Circulation 118(18):S648, 2008.
- Chicos AB, Kannankeril PJ, Kadish AH, Goldberger JJ: Parasympathetic effects on cardiac electrophysiology during exercise and recovery in patients with left ventricular dysfunction. Am J Physiol 297:H743-749, 2009.
- Ng J, Sundaram S, Kadish AH, Goldberger JJ: Autonomic effects on the spectral analysis of heart rate variability after exercise. Am J Physiol 297(4):H1421-1428, 2009.
- Ulphani JS, Cain JH, Inderyas F, Gordon D, Gikas PV, Shade G, Mayor D, Arora R, Kadish AH, Goldberger JJ: Quantitative analysis of parasympathetic innervation of the porcine heart. Heart Rhythm 7(8):1113-1119, 2010.
- Laing ST, Gluckman TJ, Weinberg KM, Lahiri MK, Ng J, Goldberger JJ: Autonomic effects of exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2010.
- Bergner DW, Goldberger JJ: Diabetes mellitus and sudden cardiac death:what are the data? Cardiol J 17(2):117-129, 2010.
- Bergner DW, Goldberger JJ: Autonomic determinants of early heart rate recovery after exercise differs in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Circulation 120(18): S634, 2010.
- Wang NC, Chicos A, Banthia B, Bergner DW, Lahiri MK, Ng J, Subacius H, Kadish AH, Goldberger JJ: Persistent sympathoexcitation long after submaximal exercise in subjects with and without coronary artery disease. Am J Physiol 301(3):H912-920, 2011.