Comprehensive benefits are available for residents at the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University.
- Medical Plan: Individual housestaff medical/prescription coverage is available at minimal cost. Family coverage is also available at reasonable cost.
- Prescription Drug Plan: Walgreens Health Initiatives
- Dental Plan: Individual and Family housestaff coverage is available at minimal cost.
- Vision Plan: Individual and Family housestaff coverage is available at minimal cost.
- Life Insurance: The equivalent of 1x annual stipend is provided at no cost to housestaff. Additional coverage up to 4x annual stipend can be purchased.
- Long-term Disability Insurance: Basic coverage is provided at no cost. This plan offers a portability option at group rates upon graduation.
- Healthcare Spending Account: Available for optional participation
- Dependent Care Spending Account: Available for optional participation
- 401k Plan: Voluntary contributions are matched for the first 1% and are immediately vested.
- Health Club River East: Optional discounted yearly membership at a local health club.
Other services include access to exercise facilities, an on-campus day-care center, and the comprehensive Galter Health Sciences Library. The housestaff are provided with a catered lunch on all weekdays and an additional stipend to cover 1 additional meal on call days. Lab coats and cleaning are provided for free. Each resident receives 3 weeks of vacation each year; second and third-year residents also receive a week of educational leave.
To see more details about benefits including a sample contract, please visit the GME website.