How to Apply
Applications for residency should be sent only through the Electronic Residency Application Service. Our program is listed as Northwestern/McGaw/NMH/VA-IL.
Relevant program numbers are:
- 2247140CO for Categorical Medicine
- 2247140PO for Medicine Preliminary
- 2247140C1 for Medicine PSTP (Please also complete our online PSTP application)
Applications should be supported by the following documents:
- Dean's letter
- Transcript including first quarter senior grades
- Chair of Medicine's letter (or letter from his/her designee)
- USMLE Step 1 scores (and Step 2, if available)
- At least one letter of recommendation from an internist or subspecialist who has worked closely with the applicant
We require USMLE Step 1 scores to apply and Step 2 scores in order to begin residency training.
Preparation for the PGY1 year is assessed carefully on each applicant. We strongly recommend completion of a medicine subinternship and a MICU rotation in the senior year.
You must be a current senior or graduate of an LCME-approved medical school (or osteopathic equivalent) or an international graduate with a valid ECFMG certificate and valid visa or permanent resident status. All appointments for residency are subject to ability to obtain an unrestricted Illinois medical license.
An interview is required for admission. Interviews are by appointment only and are conducted November through January. Our program typically receives more than 3,800 applications with approximately 300 interviews being granted each year.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Oct. 1.
Connect with Medicine’s education staff for more information about our programs.
The Department of Medicine is not currently offering observerships.