Ambulatory training has long been a highlight of the program. Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine residents care for a great variety of outpatients in general medicine. Each PGY1 trainee begins a half-day general medicine continuity clinic at either Legacy Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation or the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center. At the beginning of the second year, each resident adds a second half day of continuity clinic. Exposure to the both clinic settings provides experience in adapting to various systems of care, as well as the opportunity to manage an enormous variety of patients. Full-time faculty members provide long-term education and follow-up.We are proud of our graduates who have gone into general internal medicine over the years. Please inquire about an updated list of graduates who have gone into general internal medicine as evidence of our success.
- Intern ambulatory block: This two-week block develops fundamental skills and includes several academic half-days for learning.
- VA Outpatient Urgent Care Clinic: Residents will have two four-week blocks over three years managing common outpatient conditions in the veteran population.
- Transition Clinic: This two-week block for senior exposes residents to inpatients discharged from the hospital but who lack access to follow, teaching a deeper level of systems of care.
Conferences and Reading
- The Pre-Clinic Conference is a case-based session before each continuity clinic half day and also included in the VA Outpatient Urgent Care Clinic rotation.
- Hopkin’s Ambulatory Education Modules are web-based modules residents complete to supplement their ambulatory education.
- Topics in ambulatory medicine are also included in our morning report and noon conference series.
Research opportunities abound for those interested. Topics include population health, quality improvement, healthcare disparities and informatics.
Learn about our Institute of Public Health and Medicine (IPHAM) as one of the examples of where trainees can find robust research opportunities.